Crispy Quinoa Bowl
Everyone loves a grain bowl but I’m about to take it to the next level with this craveable crispy quinoa. Quinoa is a rich source of protein and with the high fiber vegetables, this bowl will keep you satisfied for hours. While this bowl uses Asian flavors, it can be adapted using any sautéed or roasted seasonal vegetables.
This is also a great recipe to make a big batch of for the week! Simply double or triple the ingredients depending on how many servings you want. You can quickly reheat and make a new egg to place on top when you are ready for it later in the week.
½ cup cooked quinoa, cooled and relatively dry
3 tablespoon avocado or olive oil
2 tablespoons tamari
1 tablespoon grated ginger
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ cup mushrooms
2 bunches torn kale
1 egg, medium boiled or scrambled
¼ avocado, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1. The first step is to roast the kale to give it a nice crunch. I like to make the whole head of kale and keep the extra as kale chips to snack on. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Remove the leaves from the thick stems and tear into pieces. Place evenly on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Drizzle 1 teaspoon of olive oil over the kale and sprinkle with sea salt. Using your hands, massage the oil evenly over the kale. Roast for 10 minutes until edges are browned.
2. While the kale is roasting, make the crispy quinoa. Let the cooked quinoa cool and pat it dry with a paper towel. Heat the oil in a pan over high heat, add the quinoa and let it fry until the grains firm, have a nutty aroma and looked browned. This took about 7 minutes. Transfer them to a paper towel-lined plate and season generously with sea salt while warm.
3. Combine the ginger and tamari and set aside.
4. Sauté the mushrooms in the olive oil over medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until soft, then remove from the heat and add the ginger tamari mixture.
5. Place the crispy quinoa in the bowl first. Add the cooked mushroom mixture, egg, kale, and sliced avocado. Garnish with the toasted nori and sesame seeds and there you have it! Take a gorgeous pic for instagram, tag @mollyrieger and enjoy our delicious, nutritious bowl of goodness! :)