Pistachio Crusted Salmon with Greens
I am officially back from traveling and actually excited to be home cooking! I love traveling but I am ready to get home and return to my normal routine and healthy cooking. It is definitely easy to over do it with eating and drinking while traveling and I always make it a point to meal prep and cook the majority of nights the week I return to get my body back into its natural rhythm (and to get rid of some of those holiday pounds that creeped up!) The week after traveling, I cut down on grains, dairy, alcohol and added sugar. It's always a rude awakening but I feel so much better after just a few days. This is a perfect dish to fit into my post holiday detox.
I make salmon frequently but in order to keep it exciting, I came up with this pistachio crusted salmon recipe. Pistachios are the lowest calorie and highest fiber nut and they add a nice pop of color and crunch to salmon.
I made it with roasted brussels sprouts and broccoli to make sure half my plate was veggies! Enjoy!
Ingredients:( serves 2)
- 2, 6 oz wild salmon filets
- 1 cup pistachios
- 2 cups broccoli
- 2 cups brussels sprouts
- Zest of 1 orange
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spread the broccoli and brussels spouts evenly
- Toss with about 2 tbsp of olive oil, salt and pepper to taste (and any other herbs/spices you like!)
- Roast for 25 minutes or until crispy. Leave the oven on for the salmon!
- While vegetables are roasting, heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until you can feel the heat rising out of the skillet
- Pour the pistachios into a blender or vitamix and blend until they have a rough crumb-like consistency. Pour onto a plate.
- Place the 2 salmon filets into the pistachio crumb, top down so that the top of the salmon is evenly coated with pistachio
- Flip the salmon and zest a lemon over the salmon to add a bit more flavor
- Place the salmon into the skillet, top down for about 6 minutes or until the top is crispy
- Flip over and place the entire skillet in the oven at 425 for about 7 minutes
- Serve the salmon with the veggies for a nutritious, tasty, and colorful meal!