Noodle Free Zucchini Lasagna with Turkey Meat Sauce and Fall Kale Salad
It definitely feels like Fall out there and I was craving a cozy warm dish. This noodle free zucchini lasagna is total comfort food without the uncomfortable stuffed feeling afterwards. Perfect for those following a low carb or gluten free diet and can be made with or without dairy. This kale salad is a go-to of mine and I make a big batch to make sure I have leftovers for lunch the next day! The maple tahini dressing is a major crowd favorite. Enjoy and let me know what you think! Follow along the video but note a few changes I made in the recipe below :)
Zucchini Lasagna with Turkey Meat Sauce:
- 4 large zucchini, sliced into ribbons using a vegetable peeler
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 pound extra lean organic ground turkey
- 1 - 14 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- handful of basil, finely chopped (can also use dried basil if you don't have fresh)
- red pepper flakes, if desired
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1.5 cups of vegan shredded mozzarella (I used Daiya brand) OR regular cheese (would be best to mix 1/2 ricotta and 1/2 mozzarella!)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place sliced zucchini on large baking sheet coated with non stick cooking spray. Sprinkle with salt and roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes to help dry out the zucchini. This is crucial to make sure the zucchini doesn't make the dish watery!
- While the zucchini noodles are roasting, you can make the turkey meat sauce. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic, onions, and peppers and cook a until onionsbecome translucent and garlic is fragrant; stir occasionally. Add in ground turkey and cook until no longer pink.
- Add in can of crushed tomatoes and all the herbs and spices. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer 25 to 30 minutes or until sauce really thickens up! This is important to ensure the dish isn't liquidy.
- To assemble lasagna, spread 1/2 of the turkey meat sauce into the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking pan coated with nonstick cooking spray. Place zucchini slices evenly over meat sauce, and sprinkle mozzarella evenly over the top. Repeat layers again starting with the meat sauce, zucchini slices and finishing with mozzarella.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 min. Remove foil and bake for 15 minute longer uncovered. If you want that crispy brown top, broil for about 5-7 minutes. Let it cool and enjoy!
Kale Salad: (4 servings)
- 2 bunches lacinato kale, chopped into ribbons
- 16-20 dried figs, chopped
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 1 apple, chopped
- Know Foods croutons (optional)
Maple Tahini Dressing:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- dash of salt and pepper
- Chop all the salad ingredients, toast the pumpkin seeds and place in a large bowl
- Mix together the dressing ingredients until smooth and combined
- Pour the dressing over the salad and massage with hands so it is spread evenly