Crunchy Endive & Farro Appetizer
I love using endive as a vehicle for anything, but especially getting creative with grain salads. These make a great party appetizer- easy to eat, colorful, crunchy, and light. I especially love farro- this grain has more fiber than brown rice or quinoa and is a great source of protein, magnesium and iron. Its delicious nutty flavor is enhanced when you saute it for a few minutes after cooking. Let me know what you think!
Ingredients: (serves 6)
- 1 head endive
- 1 cup farro
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup pistachios
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup pomegrantes
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp balsamic reduction
- Cook 1 cup of farro in 1/2 cup of water on medium heat. When the water boils, reduce heat and let it simmer covered for 15 minutes
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil to a saute pan and transfer the cooked farro to the pan on medium high heat. Add the pistachios and stir around for about 10 minutes or until the faro becomes crispy and browned
- Remove from the heat and transfer to a bowl. Add the lemon zest, another tbsp of olive oil, raisins and pomegranates and mix. (If you are not serving right away, wait to add the pomegranates as they lose their color and crisp quickly!)
- Tear the endive leaves and spread into a single layer on a serving plate
- Scoop about 2 tbsp of the faro salad into each leave. Drizzle balsamic reduction over the plate and serve!